- Title of the learning scenario
- Brief introduction
- Application in educational context
- Targeted educational sector
- Learners' special characteristics
- Learning subject/ field
- Specific educational objectives
- Narrative/sequential description of the learning activities
- Learning resources involved
- Wiki application
- Other ICT applications involved
- Infrastructure / equipment
- Prerequisite competences
- Evaluation approach
- Typical learning time
- Temporal mode
- Typical learning location
- Other aspects to consider
Title of the learning scenario
FBS - France Business School pilot case using WikiSkills (supported by MAC-Team)
This is a framework scenario validated with FBS. It has been used to build the initial training WIkiSkills training session for FBS (on the 18-19 March 2013), and to support the implementation scenarios resulting from that training. The report on that initial training and the implementation is available in the article "Report by MAC-Team on FBS-France Business School training seminar and Scenario implementation".
MAC-Team will implement one or two scenarios at Higher Education level with FBS - France Business School .
FBS who wants to develop innovative pedagogical approaches towards a new learning hub for pro-active training and integration with enterprises/business and with societal/local territories needs is interested in a global approach which can be implemented in phases or areas of application:
- To initiate and train students to e-culture and to collaborative work in professional environment by using wiki tools in group projects
- To develop collaborative learning practices with trainers and teachers
- To provide pro-active training delivery between teacher(s) and students
- the content can be produced from one teacher or from several teachers and/or re-using internal and external pedagogical sources
- having active contribution from students (revising the content of the course itself, updating and enriching it)
- re-using or adding content from students' projects in it (or to illustrate some parts of the course)
- To enable collaboration and sharing between campuses of the school (FBS has 5 premises in France, plus 2 campuses/sections abroad in Shanghaï-China and in Pune-India); FBS also wants to foster synergies to accelerate the recent merge of French business schools which led to FBS. This wiki-culture is also an opportunity to support:
- cooperation and joint projects between students across various campuses
- optimisation of teachers skills and competences/ fields of expertise between various curricula and applied lifelong training (from initial to continuous) actions with students and enterprises/organisations
- joint researches activities and field studies across campuses
- To develop extended learning and collaborative partnerships in a multi-actors vision by enabling the knowledge-triangle in a practical and effective way. The training session is not limited to the "usual/traditional" teacher delivery:
- students can (and should) be pro-active (see above)
- group projects can be directly integrated to the training content course and beyond (and the training course content also expend beyond traditional borders)
- enterprises / business actors / local or society stakeholders can (and should) be integrated at various stages:
- to validate/prepare content;
- to define topics for group projects which could as well be in line with problems or topics raised by enterprises/stakeholders
- to prepare on-site training periods well ahead to the enterprise/organisation student placements
- to monitor and collaboratively enrich on-site training periods
- to extend or connect on-site training periods with business research activities
- To develop a scoring process to fairly reflect the formal, informal and non-formal attainments of the students (including official credits) and as well of the other stakeholders involved (which could lead for some of them towards ECVET approaches or, at least being able to describe and add value on the knowledge, skills and competences developed along this e-culture journey).
- Learning hub,
- participative learning,
- Multi-actors higher education learning,
- university-enterprise integration,
- pro-active students
Application in educational context
Out of this framework scenario, several elementary scenarios have been implemented at FBS - France Business School.
They are presented in the report indicated above under the section "Multi-level context/scenarios".
- 1 initial 2-day training session to FBS teachers involved in the FBS Learning Hub.
- 3 self-managed implementation scenarios by teachers attending this initial training
- 3 groups of 3rd year students (3 times 15 students)
- 2 groups of 1st year students (35 + 70 students)
- Involvement of 6 external teachers for one of the training module with the students.
- 1 supported implementation with a group of 3rd year students (15 students) with supplementary delivery results by the students (1 e-book on Micro-finance as a collective delivery and significant contributions on micro-finance to open wiki sites by the students individually.
- 1 supplementary training and awareness session (with video recording for further dissemination in FBS faculties) by the initially trained teachers to another group of teachers inside FBS (10 teachers more + video)
- 1 more implementation scenario is under elaboration (on negotiation skills).
- Key responsible teacher: Fabrice MAULEON, director of the FBS Learning Hub (responsible teachers in charge of the other implementation scenarios are indicated in that report)
Targeted educational sector
Higher education in connection with curricula of FBS (in priority teacher and students new relational mode)
Being extend with professional training (at teachers and enterprises/organisation levels), which includes adult training.
Learners' special characteristics
A first series of pilots at FBS has been conducted with 4 FBS teachers and 6 external trainers splitted across several premises.
Then, the approach and results of this first series of pilot will be assessed in terms of pedagogical implications (at students, teachers and Business school levels) with the objective of looking forward to further deploying it to the whole FBS environment.
A future phase will be the extension to student placements projects and relations with enterprises/organisations (for the student placements and as well to involve entrepreneurs and civil society actors directly in the content and interactive delivery of the learning content and professional practices).
Learning subject/ field
- Business Intelligence Tools and Methodologies applied to Finance sector
- Sustainable Development & local (public) groupings
- Negotiation skills
Specific educational objectives
Make students acquire:
- writing skills
- collaborative skills and culture
- critical thinking
- agility and capacity to adapt to new environments and (working/communication) tools
- participative and pro-active attitude (beyond "former student role")
Narrative/sequential description of the learning activities
See the implementation report:
"Report by MAC-Team on FBS-France Business School training seminar and Scenario implementation",
and especially the section on "Narrative report from start till end".
Learning resources involved
- training materials/slides by WikiSkills
- online resources:
- videos (TEDx, YouTube, Daily Motion)
- pads (mainly from Framapad)
- Google docs / Google Drive)
- Kanban / schedule systems (by Trello)
(some details on videos or pads for instance are provided in the report on the FBS pilot case).
In terms of "pure" wiki application, trainees and students have used the MediaWiki application by using and contributing to Wikipedia pages.
In terms of wiki-like application, trainees have mainly used Google Drive application (the various office tools) and Etherpad application (the Framapad service).
Other ICT applications involved
For the students (the trainees of the trainees), several other ICT applications have been used:
- pad: mandatory in all the pilot cases
- google doc: for collaborative note taking
- e-book in a co-authoring way (+ some graphical tools like in-Design): mandatory in one of the pilot cases deployed at secondary level (by the teacher trainees).
- kanban/planning collaborative solution (by Trello): to plan the work on the e-book development and on the consolidation of the collaborative note-taking; not mandatory, but highly recommended in one of the pilot cases deployed at secondary level (by the teacher trainees).
Infrastructure / equipment
- Basic ICT skills
- If WIkipedia or alike is used, it is needed that each trainee has created his/her user account beforehand (if not the IP address of the internet router used by the training room may be identified and temporary blocked by Wikipedia for instance (could be considered as a hacking attempt).
- peer-to-peer assessment (by the Students of the pilot cases deployed by the trained teachers)
- test (teacher evaluate and evaluation by MAC-Team which has been included in the final scoring of the Students)
- revision tracking (for the WIkipedia contributions of the Students)
- group assessment (presentation by the Students in final evaluation process + feedback on wiki culture impact in the educational process)
- individual interviews of the Students and of the teacher (Students interviews outputs have also been included into the final scoring of the students for the diploma)
Typical learning time
Cf. the Report on the global FBS pilot case.
The "Synchronous interaction" or "Asynchronous interaction" is not specifically relevant in the present case (a mix has been applied depending on the deployment case).
Typical learning location
No typical location. The learning process is the result of a combination of time, place and conditions depending of the instant needs within a deployment case.
Under consideration to be more widely integrated into the FBS pedagogical approaches.
- Appropriate change management is an important success factor (to overcome teachers resistance facing unknown context and their questioning on their roles/position and on the evolution of the relationship between the teachers and between the teachers and the students).
Other aspects to consider
- Adapted communication process on the wiki-culture (for instance, not to be considered by the students as a low-cost pedagogical approach eventually).
- Adequate support process to the teachers and to maintain a dynamic/synergetic exchange
- Rapidly extend it to all stakeholders in the pedagogical value chain (economic actors, governance of the school/university, parents of the students, other schools/university/teachers/trainers/practitioners.